The first thing to be aware of is that although Mulberry seriously pursues any counterfeit sites, counterfeit resellers regularly change the name of their website and URL and re-enter the market under a different identity, so please remain aware and vigilant. Below is some information to help you identify and avoid counterfeit sellers.
What are counterfeit goods?
The official definition of a counterfeit product is 'something that has been made in imitation so as to be passed off fraudulently or deceptively as genuine'.
Counterfeit goods are sold under false pretences and are poorly produced, of bad quality and often faulty. Producers of counterfeit goods illegally use the Mulberry name, logo, and imagery to deceive consumers into believing they are purchasing genuine Mulberry products.
The production and sale of counterfeit goods is illegal and the purchase of them funds further production and deception.
Why should I care?
- Counterfeirers are criminals, and often have links to fraudulent organisations that commit identity theft and other serious crimes.
- Purchasing these products exposes consumers to identity and credit card theft through unprotected payment transaction methods that leave personal details unsecured.
- Counterfeit products are often sold at high prices in order to seem genuine, but in reality are poor quality, imitation products.
- The images used to represent the products rarely refelct what the products actually look like: what you see is not always what you get.
- Producers of conterfeit products do not abide by the law or adhere to ethical and fair practices. As such they may be involved with child labour and sweatshop work environments.
- Counterfeiters are often also engaged in other forms of criminal activity, and may have links to organised crime networks and in some cases to terrorist groups. Purchasing from their websites funds these illegal activities.
How do I recognise a counterfeit Mulberry product
The only way to avoid unwittingly purchasing a counterfeit product is to buy from authorised Mulberry stores or recognised stockists. For a list of Mulberry stores please see our Store Locator or contact Mulberry Customer Services who will be able to give you advice on the nearest stockists.
Online, Mulberry should only be purchased from the official website or from a reputable wholesale partner site. Auction sites such as Ebay cannot guarantee the authenticity of products bought on their site, and Mulberry also cannot authenticate products bought in this way.
Always be vigilant when browsing for Mulberry using internet search engines. Search engine providers do not monitor the sites they display; therefore search listings are not guaranteed to be authentic or safe.